The Amir of the State of Kuwait, His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, announced an initiative to the third African Arab Summit hosted by the State of Kuwait. This initiative described an annual award by the State of Kuwait for the advancement of economic, social, human resources, and infrastructure development in the African continent titled the "Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sumait Prize", after a Kuwaiti physician who spent his lifetime dedicated towards helping the poor in Africa in the field of health and education.
The objective of the prize is the appreciation, recognition of the best studies, scientific projects, applied research, and innovative initiatives, which within the Health field have made significant impact and lasting influence in advancing progress to economic and social development in Africa. The awarded projects should help African nations to overcome poverty, hunger, lack of potable water, injustice or to improve health care, literacy and the allocation of economic resources. The Prize should also highlight successes within the following subjects: Food security, Health and Education.
Objectives of the Prize
The objective of the Prize is the appreciation and recognition of the best studies, scientific projects, applied research and innovative initiatives, which have made a significant and lasting influence in advancing progress to economic and social development in Africa. The awarded projects should help African nations to overcome poverty, hunger, lack of potable water, injustice or to improve health care, literacy and the allocation of economic resources. The Prize should also highlight successes within the following areas: Food security, Health and Education.
A cash sum of $1,000,000 (one million US dollars) is awarded annually to an individual or organization within one of the three fields mentioned above along with a gold medal, shield and certificate of recognition.
The prize is to be awarded annually within one of the proposed three fields:
- Food Security
The field of food security includes developments in agriculture leading towards the provision of agricultural crops, a diverse nutritional value and an effective food distribution system that connects to all of Africa. This includes solutions for environmental problems that hinder the development of agricultural production, water resources especially in arid areas as well as human development and the provision of expertise and man-power within these areas.
The field of health includes research on communicable diseases prevalent in Africa such as Ebola, Malaria and HIV. It also includes the provision of medical staff (physicians and nursing), medicine, pharmaceutical and medical equipment. As well as the provision of medical centers (hospitals and clinics in remote areas, forests or desert areas.
The field of education includes modern education systems in both basic and applied educations as well as universities. It also includes projects on the proliferation of schools, universities, institutions and laboratories to provide a faculty of teachers and educationally qualified trainers in applied and social fields and crafts.
Board of Trustees
- The Board of Trustees (BOT) consists of seven members, upon the nomination of KFAS Board of Directors and The Amiri Diwan for a term of five years. The Board is composed from distinguished leading international personalities with accomplished records of interest, support and contribution to the development in the African continent. The First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs will Chair the Board of Trustees. The Director General of KFAS will be a member of the BOT.
- The Board of Trustees finalizes the criteria and the detailed procedures for the prize for the level equivalent to standards and procedures applied in international prestigious prizes.
- The Board of Trustees considers the submitted reports from the evaluation committees and nominates the recommended winners.
- The Board of Trustees will determine how to honor the winners.
The announcement of the prize
The announcement of the prize and an invitation for submissions will be advertised annually in one of the areas of the prize. Advertisements will be published in a number of local, regional and international newspapers with a focus on advertising in websites and digital media. Advertising will also be aimed at specialized institutions, universities in the world and regional organizations as well as at the relevant scientific and research and development institutions to submit their nominations.
The requirements and conditions of the prize
- A candidate must have tangible achievements and creative works up to the desired level for the prize.
- The submitted work must be of paramount importance in promoting economic and social development, human resource development and infrastructure in the African continent.
- Studies and applied research must be published in referred journals and need to be circulated and recognized on a global level in the allocated announced field. The research outcome needs to have been applied after publication in African countries within the past ten years. Adequate evidence needs to be provided.
- Projects and initiatives should be relevant to the prize and must include sufficient evidence of the achievements during the past ten years. The evidence should include an expert’s opinion and documented results obtained from the application of these initiatives or projects.
- Nominations are to be accepted from the institutions and scientific centers (universities, institutes and centers of scientific research) as well as from regional or international organizations and awards, former winners in the field of the prize or former evaluation members. Nominations will only be accepted through institutions or other possible nominators mentioned above.
- All documents (studies, researches, reports, projects etc.) should be submitted electronically.
The Board of Trustees will form two committees:
- Preliminary Evaluation Committee
Number of Members
Three members from outside of the State of Kuwait, which are specialized in the field of the advertised prize in the respective year.
The venue of the committee
All submitted works will be sent electronically to the members without coming to Kuwait.
The members of the Preliminary Evaluation Committee have to study all works submitted. They have to verify that all conditions and criteria for the prize are met. Each member will send in a separate report showing the work which is promoted to the next round of the evaluation. All reports will be presented to the final evaluation committee.
- Final Evaluation Committee
Number of members
Five members specialized in the field of the announced prize as follows:
- One expert from the respective United Nations organization (UNESCO, FOA or WHO)
- Four experts specialized in the field of the prize with experience in evaluating similar high calibre international prizes.
The venue of the committee
The evaluation committee will convene in Kuwait at the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences. The Board of the Trustees will decide the date of the venue.
To study all nominations and the reports submitted by the Preliminary Evaluation committee members
To submit a final report to the Board of Trustees to approve the recommendation of the winners.